Perform duties of head usher.
A. Welcome members and visitors.
B. Accommodate the seating of those attending church services on Sunday morning and other occasions.
C. Ensure a comfortable environment for worship services (i.e. lights, microphones, fans, heating, ventilation).
D. Hand out bulletins and appropriate materials at services.
E. Oversee the collection of the offering and make it available to the church treasurer.
F. Count people in attendance at morning worship service and record in attendance book.
G. Assist at funerals and other special occasions as requested.
H. Attend organizational meeting arranged by senior head ushers.
I. Review contents of Ushering Manual from church library with incoming ushers each year.
J. Insert bulletins and any requested literature items into mailboxes.
K. The senior head usher will also perform the following functions:
l. Set up fall organizational meeting for incoming ushers, handing out a schedule and offering further explanation of the duties and etiquette involved with their new position.
2. Arrange for “greeters” for Sunday morning services.
3. Arrange for ushers to be present for special meetings, funerals and community programs.
4. Submit report for Annual Business Meeting.
L. Be available to help people use the elevator to go up and down.
A. Accountable to: Church Council
B. Membership – six persons. Two head ushers selected annually by Gift Discernment for a two year term. Head ushers will serve as senior head ushers the last year of their term.
Other Job Descriptions:
- Adult Superintendent
- Bible School Committee
- Board of Elders
- Boy’s Venture Club Leaders
- Cemetery Sexton
- Christian Nurture Committee
- Church Chorister
- Church Council Member
- Church Council Moderator
- Church Council Secretary
- Church Financial Officer
- Church Historian
- Congregational Life Editor
- Early Childhood Care Coordinator
- Environmental Technician
- Everence Representative
- Gift Discernment Committee
- Girl’s Venture Club Leaders
- Hospitality Coordinator
- IMS Board Member
- Iowa Mennonite Benevolent Association/Extension Committee Member
- Junior MYF Sponsors
- Lay Delegate to Central Plains Conference
- Library Committee
- MarriageCare Mentoring Program
- MC USA (Mennonite Church USA) Bi-Annual Convention Delegate
- MCC Sale Representative
- MDS Representative
- Mennonite Women President
- Mennonite Youth Fellowship (MYF) Sponsors
- Mid-Week Church Activity Committee
- Missions and Service Communicator
- Music Committee
- Office Manager
- Pastor, Lead
- Primary/Junior Superintendent
- Public Address System Operator
- Second Century Chronicle Editor
- Service Committee
- SIMCA Representative (Southeastern Iowa Mennonite Camp Association)
- Sunday School Secretary
- Usher, Assistant
- Usher, Head
- Worship Committee
- Youth Advocate Coordinators